Recently I have been listening to Podcasts and become obsessed with live shows such as Half Size Me. They are great to listen to in the background at the office, or download and take for a road trip, and I expect I will incentivising myself to run using them as well! One of the things the presenter and producer, Heather Robertson, advocates is planning. What will your healthy lifestyle look like? What will maintenance look like? Now that’s the whole point of my journey – work towards a sustainable healthy lifestyle while being unsure what it looks like. Indeed my blog documents this process!
So I thought I would do a Snapshot, and use that to determine what I should be working towards in the short term. The result is a serious of goals, set in December 2012. Let’s go!
What does my lifestyle look like right now? Snapshot of meals
- Breakfast is as much as I want. Chopped carrot and granola usually, and then either some toast with peanut butter or egg whites with onion and peppers. I do not limit my portions but I try to include 50% veg or protein.
- Lunch is a potato, either baked or sweet potato, and either baked beans or tuna. Followed by an apple and another piece of fruit.
- If I workout I have an apple before.
- Dinner – I have a number of go-to meals, e.g. steaming veg and having a fishcake. Super easy, put it in and 30 mins later enjoy food. The fishcake is potentially higher in fat than a pure fillet, but I love it and it adds taste without going overboard. If we have something more complex I decarb and decheese it – e.g. courgette spirals in a pasta bake with moderate cheese. Recently we had cornbread but that’s a sometimes food for sure! Dessert is a protein shake if I worked out earlier, or a sweet tea. This is where I kinda want something but I am not hungry, so I keep the dessert urge in check.
- Alcohol is few and far between. This last weekend I had a few pints (of zider!) but did not really get drunk, just enjoyed myself.
- Chocolate, biscuits and cake – honestly not interested. I stay away from granola bars. Every now and again I crave a Clif bar, and I allow myself half of one if it’s before a workout.
- I am loving peanut butter from Wholefoods, the freshly ground type, and that scratches my nut itch.
Snapshot of workouts
- I cycle to work and back, a 4 mile trip there and a 4 mile trip back. It’s great for clearing my head and making me feel all adventurous. I average 3-4 times a week but it depends on whether I am going out to see clients and therefore need my car.
- Me and the boy hit our dirty sweaty Man Gym 2-3 times a week. There I do squats, and then either bench press or another workout. I tend to work legs and back, arms and core. Need more shoulder strength. I can do three man push ups with ease, four if I push it, five = failed.
- The squat, bench and deadlift are my indicator lifts. The squat I can do 27.5kg each side, bench is 7.5kg each side and deadlift 20kg each side.
What do I want to improve?
- I want to improve the look and feel of my core. I also want rid of my thighs!!! My butt is tightening up so continue the squats, and do more deadlifts.
- I want to do pull ups. I love the look of my arms so much!
Goals! Set December 2012
Exercise – Weight training
- Squat – 30kg each side plus bar – at the moment I am on 20kg, a 5kg and a 2.5kg, so 27.5kg each side. Nearly there!!!
- Bench press – 10kg each side – at the moment at 7.5kg each side.
- Consistently deadlift once a week – 20kg at the moment, let’s set a goal just to do them consistently for now.
- Do a full pull up at the Man Gym!
- Run a 5 miler at 9 min mile average – just did a 4 miler at 9 min miles!
- Continue to eat 50% vegetables at every meal
- Always have fruit and frozen vegetables in the house and available
- Try to gauge hunger on a 5 point scale before eating any meal.
- Chop onions and defrost peppers the night before for breakfast the next day.
- Fit into a particular dress which will become my indicator dress.