It started well…. and then it ended up like this:
Let’s start at the beginning, shall we? I started the morning with a Blueberry Mess – blueberry yogurt (from Yeo Valley Dairy) and Jordan’s Granola:
During my Mastering, I found an excellent looking workout on Healthly Habits, called “Your Best Body Workout” involving something called “supersets” and “HIRT”. Both of these sounded like a lot of fun! And of course the picture was very encouraging:
You may read the article and the routine here.
When I came home, excited to start, I marshalled my equipment. The way I read it and subsequently tackled the exercises was to enter a “superset” (two exercises) back to back for 5 minutes and then 30 seconds rest before tackling the next superset. So for example in his exercise 1, I did five front squats, ficve deadlifts right leg, five deadlifts left leg, repeat with no rest for 5 minutes. When the five minutes were up, I rested for 30 seconds, and then the next one would start.
Good thing I had my Gymboss!
Sadly I had committed a grievous error, because it clearly says here to rest for 3 minutes between the supersets!
I had my dumbells, kettlebell and medicine ball:
My trusty Garmin:
I loved High Intensity Resistance Training. My heart was going, calories were sizzling, and I felt great both during and after the session. Once you settle into a routine with the superset, your world narrows down to very simple principles – lift/ push/ change position/ lift again, until the GymBoss vibrates and it’s on to the next!
I will definitely be doing HIRT again. Just ask me tomorrow if it still hurts..
Cheat’s Mac and Cheese
After that little workout, I craved a quick meal. We had to hand the following, and made a cheat’s mac and cheese:
- Boil water and add the macaroni. In a separate pan bring some milk to the boil. Turn on the oven to 180 degrees or so (if using).
- Get out some old cheese and grate it into the milk. Cut up random veggies – we used broccoli, chilli, and onion.
- Put frozen veggies in with the pasta – we had frozen spinach.
- At the last minute, add the fresh veggies to the pasta.
- Drain the pasta, stir in the cheese sauce.
- Either eat it now, or add cold Quorn pieces and stick in the oven for 10 minutes.
Quick. Easy. Just like HIRT